The Highways of North Carolina
N.C. 210 
< 209 | Home | 211 >
Photo: NC 210 coming to an end at US 17 (Doug Kerr)
NC 210
N.C. 210  195 miles
The Road: Begins at US 70 Business W. Smithfield (Johnston County) and ends at US 17 Dixon (Onslow County).
Towns and Attractions: Johnston Co: West Smithfield
Harnett Co: Angier, Lillington
Cumberland Co: Spring Lake, Fort Bragg, Fayetteville, E. Fayetteville
Bladen Co: None
Pender Co: Moores Creek Nat'l Battlefield, Rocky Point, Hampstead, Surf City
Onslow Co: North Topsail Beach
History: NC 210 appeared in mid-1931 as new routing, running from US 70/NC 10 Smithfield west to NC 53 (now NC 24-87) Manchester.
In 1942, NC 210 was extended south with NC 87, then split southeast as new primary routing down Murchison Rd to Fayetteville. NC 210 then used Rowan St and Grove St east to Broad St then south to end at US 301/NC 24 Person St.
In 1943 or 1944, NC 210 was rerouted from Manchester and instead to its current path to Spring Lake. This left behind SR 1541.
1931 Official
NC 210 appears in mid-1931
1942 Official
NC 210 extended to Fayetteville

In 1952, NC 210 was extended east with US 301/NC 24, then after a NC 53 duplex, southeast as new primary routing to US 421 near Long Creek.
In 1952 or 1953, NC 210 in Fayetteville was rerouted to leave Grove St at the new Eastern Ave south to Person St.
In 1954, NC 210 was extended southeast again, replacing part of US 421 to end at US 117 near Castle Hayne.
1952 Shell
NC 210 extended to US 421
1954 Official
NC 210 extended to US 117

In 1956 or 1957, NC 210 was rerouted at Bells Crossroads and sent further east as new primary routing to Rocky point and Hampstead, tehn after a US 17 duplex, east to Surf City, then northeast to the end of Topsail Island. Bells Crossroads to US 117 became part of NC 40 (now NC 133).
In 1970, NC 210 was rerouted on Topsail Island to cross back over to the mainland on a recently built bridge connecting to SR 1524. The old NC 210 to the end of the island became SR 1568.
1958 Official
NC 210 extended to Topsail Island
1972 Official
NC 210 extended north to US 17

In 1975, NC 210 was rerouted in Fayetteville to stay on Grove across a new Cape Fear River Bridge and using the route NC 210 uses today. Eastern Ave remained part of US 301 while Person St/Clinton Rd became SR 1006.
1944 Cumberland County
NC 210 initial Fayetteville ending
1953 Cumberland County
NC 210 rerouted onto Eastern Blvd
1979-80 Official
NC 210 across new Cape Faer River Br

The first NC 210 appeared about 1923 as new primary routing, running from NC 20 (now US 25-70) near the NC/Tenn line north on Kock Rd across the French Broad River at Paint Rock, then west to Tennessee.
NC 210 appeared on the early 1926 official but not the late 1926 Official. The road no longer crosses the river.
1953 Cumberland County
NC 210 in Madison County
1930 Madison County
NC 210 removed from this location

The second NC 210 appeared in 1927 or 1928 as new routing, running from NC 60 (now US 421) Erwin north to NC 21 (now US 401) Cardenas. In 1932, NC 210 was replaced by an extended NC 55.

1930 Official
NC 210 #2
1933 Official
NC 55 extended south from Durham

Comment: NC 210 is not a route anyone would drive end to end. It is possible to drive between its endpoints using a route (US 70/US 258/US 17) that is 90 miles shorter.
NC 210 is extremely quiet between Fayetteville and Hampstead.
Although it runs in the same vicinity, NC 210 did not replace any of what had been NC 602. NC 602's endpoint was where NC 210 turns towards US 421.
Due to its curled routing, NC 210 crosses a number of routes twice: US 17, NC 50, I-40, NC 53, US 421, and US 401.

Last Update: 14 August 2009

Previous: N.C. 209  |  Next: N.C. 211
Top  | Home ------------------------------------------------