< 149 | Home | < 150-A | 151 >
Photo: NC 150 leaving North Carolina (Chris Patriarca)
|N.C. 150 180 miles|
Begins at US 158 above Locust Hill (Caswell County) and ends at the South Carolina State Line below Boiling Springs (Cleveland County).
The route continues a ways as SC 150 to end at SC 56 near Glenn Springs, SC.
|Towns and Attractions:||
Caswell Co: None
Rockingham Co: None
Guilford Co: Summerfield
Forsyth Co: Kernersville, Winston-Salem
Davidson Co: None
Rowan Co: Spencer, Salisbury
Iredell Co: Mooresville
Catawba Co: Lake Norman
Lincoln Co: Boger City, Lincolnton
Gaston Co: Cherryville
Cleveland Co: Shelby, Boiling Springs
In 1931, NC 150 was extended west as new routing to Lincolnton, then replaced NC 206 southwest to end at US 74/NC 20 Shelby.
In 1940, NC 150 was expanded in both directions:
Southwest replacing NC 184 to Boiling Springs, then south as new primary routing to the South Carolina line.
Northeast replacing the lengthy NC 703 through Winston-Salem and Kernersville and out to US 158.
Also in 1940, NC 150 was removed from Lincolnton St, Fulton St and Innis St in Salisbury and instead placed on Mooresville Rd directly to US 29 Main St.
In 1941, NC 150 was removed from Old Salisbury Rd between the Yadkin River and where it left US 29-52-70 and was placed on its current routing through this area.
Between 1950-53, NC 150 was rerouted in Mooresville onto new routing around the north side to US 21 (now NC 115), then south with NC 115 a bit, then used Statesville Ave to cut southeast back to Main St. The McLand St/Main St route through central Mooresville became NC 150-A (now NC 152).
Also between 1950-53, NC 150 was rerouted in Winston-Salem to leave Acadia Ave at Broad, then used Broad south to Sprague, then used Sprague east all the way past US 311's southeast exit from the area. This left behind: unnumbered Acadia Ave; US 52/NC 8 Main St; unnumbered Waughtown Rd east to NC 109; US 311 on Waughtown Rd
About 1953, NC 150 was rerouted on its US 220 duplex when US 220 was rebuilt to the east of Summerfield.
Around 1955, NC 150 was removed from central Mooresville altogether, with the rest of Main St renumbered as NC 152.
Around 1956, NC 150 was rerouted to the south away from central Lincolnton. The old route became NC 150-A (plus NC 27).
In 1956 or 1957, NC 150 was placed on Peters Creek Pkwy below Acadia (now called Salisbury Ridge Rd), leaving behind today's Old Salisbury Rd.
In 1961, NC 150 was removed from Acadia, Broad and Sprague west of Main St and placed on the new Corporation Pkwy and duplexed with US 52/NC 8 Main St north to Sprague.
Between 1958-62, NC 150 was placed on one-way splits in Shelby with its NC 18 duplex, using Graham St and S. Washington St NB and Lafayette St SB. Then it was placed on one-way splits with its US 74A duplex using Warren St EB and Marion St WB. County maps are vague...the 74A splits could have come much earlier, back to 1949.
Between 1963-68 it appears NC 150 was returned to single routing south of US 74 Bus in Shelby, using Washington and Graham Sts.
Between 1991-93, Corporation Pkwy was reconfigured and NC 150 was moved onto Silas Creek Pkwy east of Peters Creek Pkwy
In 1994 or 1995, NC 150 was removed from the Silas Creek Pkwy and Sprague Sts in Winston Salem plus Main St in Kernersville, and instead replaced SR 3013 on the Peters Creek Pkwy (a road dating back to the 60s) up to I-40 Bus, then followed that east to NC 66, then northwest around Kernersville to meet up with traditional NC 150 leaving Kernersville to the northeast.
Also in 1994 or 1995, NC 150 was placed on its current routing around the east side of Shelby as new construction. This left behind its duplexes with NC 18 and US 74 Business.
In Jan 2008 (NCDOT), NC 150 was placed on a new bypass around the north of Crouse in Lincoln County.
The Old NC 150 shown on DeLorme Maps at Crouse was bypassed when the road was still NC 206.
NC 150 northeast of Kernersville doesn't go anywhere meaningful. Also, the routing from Salisbury to Winston-Salem is superfluous given the nearby US 52 freeway.